I received Ph.D. degree in the Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech. I was a member of the Software Innovations Lab, advised by Prof. Eli Tilevich. My research interests are Systems end of Software Engineering. Previously, I worked in Robotics Research at KIST and access R&D team at SK telesys. And I completed my masters degree from POSTECH, under the supervision of Prof. Hwangjun Song.
- Refactoring/Optimizing Distributed Systems, Software Engineering, Web-based Systems, Apps of Machine learning, Software Security, Networking
- Research Statement
- In my dissertation, I studied refactoring tools for distributed apps in the purpose of facilitating re-engineering of the distributed apps. My approach has a novelty in that it creates a centralized variant of the distributed apps first, then applies perfective and architectural changes of the original distributed apps. My idea solved non-trivial tasks for evolving distributed apps: localizing bugs, optimizing distribution granularity, and replicating a subset of distributed apps into different machines for enabling edge-based/centralized computings. I improved the latest software engineering’s latest ideas such as fuzzing/checkpointing the HTTP executions (RESTful APIs) and declarative program analysis with the z3 constraints solver, and data replication techniques (i.g. relaxed consistency models). My dissertation research was presented in WWW 2020, ICWE 19, SANER 20, and ICWE 21 with the Best Paper award.
- Prelim Exam Document
- May 2021. I received the Best Paper Award🏆 at the ICWE 2021!. news
- May 2021. I remotely attended to ICWE 2021 as a presenter. video
- April 2021. I passed my Final Defense!
- Feburary 2021. One work is accepted to ICWE 2021!
- November 2020. Our paper RT-Trust is nominated for the Best Paper Award at Journal of Computer Languages (COLA)
- April 2020. I remotely attended WWW 2020.
- March 2020. I passed my preliminary exam. See my document.
- Feburary 2020. I attended SANER 2020, London at Canada.
- January 2020. A PhD Symposium paper is accepted to WWW 2020.
- January 2020. One work is accepted to WWW 2020!
- December 2019. Our work is accepted to Journal of Computer Languages.
- December 2019. One work is accepted to SANER 2020!
Recent Publications (From 2018 ~)
- Full Paper Kijin An and Eli Tilevich, “Communicating Web Vessels: Improving the Responsiveness of Mobile Web Apps with Adaptive Redistribution,” accepted to 21th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2021) (17%, 22/128). pdf, video, Best Paper Award 🏆
- Kijin An, “Enhancing Web App Execution with Automated Reengineering,” Companion Proceedings of the Web Conference 2020 (PhD Symposium in WWW 2020), 274-278, April 2020. video
- Full Paper Kijin An and Eli Tilevich, “D-Goldilocks: Automatic Redistribution of Remote Functionalities for Performance and Efficiency,” Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution and Reengineering (SANER 2020), 251-260, February 2020 (21%, 42/199). pdf, slides
- Journal Yin Liu, Kijin An, and Eli Tilevich, “RT-Trust: Automated Refactoring for Different Trusted Execution Environments under Real-Time Constraints,” Journal of Computer Languages (COLA), Volume 56, 100939, 2020. pdf, Nominated for the Best Paper Award
- Kijin An, “Facilitating the Evolutionary Modifications in Distributed Apps via Automated Refactoring,” 19th International Conference on Web Engineering (PhD Symposium in ICWE 2019), 548-553, June 2019. slides
- Full Paper Yin Liu, Kijin An, and Eli Tilevich, “RT-Trust: Automated Refactoring for Trusted Execution Under Real-Time Constraints,” Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Generative Programming: Concepts & Experience (GPCE 2018), 175-187, Nov 2018. pdf (Yin made slides and poster)
- Full Paper Kijin An, Na Meng, and Eli Tilevich, “Automatic Inference of Java-to-Swift Translation Rules for Porting Mobile Applications,” MobileSoft 2018, 180-190, May 2018. pdf, Nominated for the Best Paper Award